Sports & Entertainment Law
Berg & Androphy lawyers have obtained landmark decisions — often as lead trial counsel — for their professional sports clients, and have successfully represented their media and entertainment clients in high-stakes, bet-the-company litigation. In particular, Berg & Androphy lawyers have extensive experience representing NFL players in a variety of proceedings. We offer our clients decades of experience in the sports & entertainment industry with personalized attention and an aggressive trial strategy when needed. Significant representations include:
• CBS as lead counsel in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of putative nationwide right to publicity and antitrust class action regarding names, images and likenesses of student-athletes in college football and basketball broadcasts.
• ESPN as lead counsel in two separate trials both of which resulted in complete defense verdicts for ESPN.
• NFL players as lead counsel in a historic dispute concerning the players’ challenge to the antitrust player restrictions in the NFL, resulting in a plaintiff verdict and $200 million damage settlement to the players.
• Buffalo Broadcasting and 600 other television stations nationwide as class counsel in an antitrust class action that resulted in a landmark decision on music licensing rights in television and radio.
• North American Soccer League and its teams in successfully challenging an NFL regulation that prohibited NFL team owners from owning other professional sports teams, which resulted in a plaintiff verdict that was upheld on appeal.
• NBA players unions in an antitrust class action that resulted in establishing free agency rights for NBA players.
• Sports agent and his management company in an action alleging that a former employee took the company’s clients to start his own agency, resulting in a multi-million dollar jury verdict for our client.
• NFL players and agents in disputes pursuant to the NFLPA’s arbitration procedures.
• Athletes accused of violating league policies, including substance abuse and performance-enhancing substance policies.