Sports & Entertainment Law
Berg & Androphy lawyers have obtained landmark decisions — often as lead trial counsel — for their professional sports clients, and have successfully represented their media and entertainment clients in high-stakes, bet-the-company litigation. We offer our clients decades of experience in the sports & entertainment industry with personalized attention and an aggressive trial strategy when needed. Our attorneys are also experts in the sport of boxing and mixed martial arts (MMA), having represented world champion boxers, major boxing and MMA promoters, and top managers and agents in litigation, regulatory disputes, as well as corporate and intellectual property matters. Significant representations include:
- CBS as lead counsel in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of putative nationwide right to publicity and antitrust class action regarding names, images and likenesses of student-athletes in college football and basketball broadcasts.
- ESPN as lead counsel in two separate trials both of which resulted in complete defense verdicts for ESPN.
- NFL players as lead counsel in a historic dispute concerning the players’ challenge to the antitrust player restrictions in the NFL, resulting in a plaintiff verdict and $200 million damage settlement to the players.
- Buffalo Broadcasting and 600 other television stations nationwide as class counsel in an antitrust class action that resulted in a landmark decision on music licensing rights in television and radio.
- North American Soccer League and its teams in successfully challenging an NFL regulation that prohibited NFL team owners from owning other professional sports teams, which resulted in a plaintiff verdict that was upheld on appeal.
- NBA players unions in an antitrust class action that resulted in establishing free agency rights for NBA players.
- Top contending boxer in preserving the boxer’s number one rating with a world sanctioning organization, when that rating was disputed because of the boxer’s positive test for a performance enhancing substance.
- New York boxing promoter in a contract dispute with a world-rated boxer, successfully enjoining a foreign promoter from putting the boxer on a major international card in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Sports agent and his management company in an action alleging that a former employee took the company’s clients to start his own agency, resulting in a multi-million dollar jury verdict for our client.
- World champion boxer defending an appeal of judges’ decision in his favor in a world title match, resulting in a ruling for the champion retaining the title he won in the ring.