Zenobia Harris Bivens
Houston, Texas 77002
Phone: (713) 529-5622
Fax: (713) 529-3785
Zenobia Harris Bivens is a trial attorney who moved back home to Texas after graduating from Northwestern University School of Law. Her practice focuses primarily on business litigation, government compliance, and (plaintiff and defense side) parallel proceedings—cases that cross over from civil to criminal. At the start of her career, Zenobia clerked for the Honorable Carl E. Stewart, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and for the Honorable Justice Dale Wainwright (ret.) of the Texas Supreme Court. Zenobia is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer and recognized as a Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star and Top Woman Lawyer in Texas Monthly.
- Obtained FCA retaliation jury verdict in favor of plaintiff, former general counsel of the Houston Housing Authority.
- Obtained white collar defense jury verdict (full acquittal) in favor of defendant NASA contractor, charged with submitting false statements in monthly reports.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of plaintiff, vodka manufacturer in trademark infringement dispute.
- Obtained United States Supreme Court reversal of Second Circuit decision. Represented whistleblower in an FCA case against a multinational banking and financial services holding company.
- Representing whistleblower in an FCA case and argued and won motion for summary judgment in favor of plaintiff, avoiding dismissal of multimillion dollar FCA claims against largest long-term healthcare facility in the United States.
- Represented service member and obtained dismissal of eviction claims filed against him during deployment.
- Represented defendant Houston-area entrepreneur and obtained dismissal of DTPA, fraud, and breach of contract claims filed against him.
- Represented defendant charged with numerous regulatory violations that resulted from harassment by police officers. Certain charges were dismissed and defendant obtained an award of summary judgment on remaining charges.
- Argued before the Second Circuit and Fifth Circuit United States Courts of Appeal.
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- The University of Alabama, M.A. Communication Studies, summa cum laude
- West Texas A & M University, B.S. Mass Communications – Broadcasting, magna cum laude
- Judicial clerk to the Honorable Carl E. Stewart, Chief Judge U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Judicial clerk to the Honorable Dale Wainwright, Texas Supreme Court
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Texas State Bar, Business Disputes CLE, “Parallel Proceedings: When Civil and Criminal Cases Collide” (September 2019)
- Guest Speaker, Rice University Judicial Internship Program (March 2019)
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association Victory Lap Speaker Series, Panel Discussion, “Lessons from the Front/Trial: United States v. Tang.” (March 2019)
- American Constitutional Society Speaker Series, Panel Discussion, “White Collar Crime: Under enforced. Out of control.” (February 2019)
- American Legal Media, 2019 Legal Week, Panel Discussion, “How to Rise Through the Ranks & Achieve Success within Your Law Firm.” (January 2019)
- Commencement Speaker, West Texas A&M University (December 2019)
- Presentation & Discussion, Healthcare Fraud Prevention Series, “Prevent Theft of Your National Provider Identifier: Steps every healthcare provider should take to prevent fraud from invading your practice and career.” (September 2018)
- “Theft of National Provider Identifiers: An early warning sign of healthcare fraud,” Physician’s Practice (July 2018)
Associations and Honors
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers 2018 (as published in Texas Monthly April 2018)
- Top Women Lawyers, Texas Super Lawyers 2018 (as published in Texas Monthly January 2019)
- Member, Fifth Ward Community Redevelopment Corporation Board of Directors
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Intern to the Honorable Xavier Rodriguez, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division
- Legal Extern to former U.S. Senator Barack Obama, Chicago, Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Northern District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- Northern District of Oklahoma