Houston, Texas 77002
Samuel Doran is an associate in the firm’s Houston office. His practice focuses on civil litigation, including plaintiff’s qui tam cases, and white collar criminal defense. Prior to joining the firm, Samuel worked at two of the largest firms in the nation, where he practiced complex commercial litigation and white collar defense. Samuel also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Curtis Gómez, United States District Court for the Virgin Islands.
Samuel graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he served on the Editorial Board of the Virginia Law Review and the Senior Editorial Board of the Journal of Law & Politics. While at the University of Virginia, Samuel worked as a prosecution intern at the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney in Richmond, Virginia, where he tried felony and misdemeanor cases. Samuel graduated magna cum laude from Duke University.
- Defended accounting firm in fraud dispute, leading to summary judgment win in only such outcome in a series of cases around the nation.
- Represented plaintiffs in action for libel and commercial disparagement against national membership organization governing collegiate athletics.
- Participated in complex internal investigation by automaker as a result of investigations by multiple government agencies.
- Defended major bank in suit by US government related to financial crisis.
- Drafted and filed petition for habeas corpus based on Miller v. Alabama, and litigated case in federal appellate court.
- Represented a major foreign financial institution in investigation by multiple agencies.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2009
- B.A., magna cum laude, Duke University, 2006
Law Clerk to the Honorable Curtis Gómez, United States District Court for the Virgin Islands, 2009-2011
Megaupload and Criminal Charges, Revista Española de Relaciones Internacionales. Núm. 4. ISSN: 1989-6565 (2012).
Associations and Honors
American Bar Association
American Association for Justice
Houston Young Lawyers Association
King & Spalding Pro Bono Service Award, 2013 & 2014
University Club of Washington, DC, Audit Committee 2014
Virginia Law Review, Editorial Board Member
Journal of Law & Politics, Senior Editorial Board Member
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia