Houston, Texas 77002
Phone: (713) 529-5622
Fax: (713) 529-3785
Justin Carl Pfeiffer is a trial and appellate attorney who offers clients extensive experience in litigating complex-commercial, financial, administrative, and criminal matters in federal courts throughout the country. In addition to successfully arguing a matter at a federal court of appeal, he spent five years working as an attorney under some of the nation’s most prominent jurists.
His private-practice experience includes substantial participation in three matters exceeding the $100-million mark, including one which had a 43-day trial. He has argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and participated in appellate matters before the Fifth and Ninth Circuits.
Justin graduated from the University of Michigan Law School, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif. After law school, Justin clerked for the Honorable Priscilla R. Owen of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the Honorable William B. Shubb of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California. He later returned to his home state of Ohio to serve as a Staff Attorney to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Justin is fluent in Spanish (Castellano) with extensive professional and educational experience in Spain and Latin America.
- Successfully defended judgment dismissing a patent-infringement action in oral argument before the Federal Circuit. Target Training Int’l v. Extended DISC Int’l, 645 F. App’x 1018 (Fed. Cir. 2016). The March 11, 2016, oral argument may be accessed here:
- Developed and led legal strategy successful in obtaining interlocutory reversal of the district court’s conclusion that section 13(a) of the Investment Company Act of 1940 implies a private right of action thereby vitiating the suit. Northstar Fin. Advisors v. Schwab Invs., 615 F.3d 1106 (9th Cir. 2010), reversing 609 F. Supp. 2d 938 (N.D. Cal. 2009).
- Drafted appellate amicus brief on behalf of the National Disability Rights Network opposing California’s funding cuts to adult day health care programs for the elderly and significantly disabled under the Medicaid Act and the Supreme Court’s Olmstead mandate, which helped lead to a favorable settlement. Cota v. Maxwell-Jolly, 9th Cir. No. 10-15635.
- Participating in representation of plaintiff class of ERISA Plan participants and beneficiaries, drafted appellate motions and assisted in oral argument preparation. Whitley v. BP, P.L.C., 838 F.3d 523 (5th Cir. 2016).
- Part of trial team in a 43-day, breach-of-contract bench trial in state court. Savor v. M/A-Com Tech. Holdings Co. et al., No. G.D. 06-8926 (Pa. C.P.—Allegheny Cnty. Jul. 13, 2015).
- Led drafting of settlement documents and part of team negotiating settlement after adverse trial result, which resulted in a 30% reduction from the trial court’s judgment.
- Representing a large corporation in a protracted securities class action, assisted in dismissing state-law claims and substantially limiting the class certified. In re Charles Schwab Corp. Secs. Litig., 2009 WL 1371409 (N.D. Cal. May 15, 2009) & 264 F.R.D. 531 (N.D. Cal. 2009).
- Participated in representational matters in Latin America.
- J.D., Order of the Coif, University of Michigan Law School
- B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, University of Virginia
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Priscilla R. Owen, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable William B. Shubb, United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
Associations and Honors
- Staff Attorney to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2010–13)
- American Bar Association
- Federalist Society
- Socio, Fundación del Amigos del Museo del Prado (Madrid, España)
- William Howard Taft National Historic Site; Former Member of the Board of Trustees (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Ohio Center for Law-Related Education; Judge, Civic Education Competitions
- University of Michigan Law School; Class of 2016 Reunion Committee Member
- Associate Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law
- Member, Michigan International Trade Law Moot Court Team; 2d-Place Team for Best Written Submission
- Michigan Student Assembly, Representative for the Law School
- University of Virginia: Echols Scholar, Intermediate Honors, Golden Key National Honor Society, Distinguished Major’s Program in History
- University of Virginia Student Counsel, Representative for the College of Arts & Sciences
Federal Court Bar Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2015
State Court Bar Admissions
- California, 2007
- Texas, 2014